Thank you for your interest in this position.
We have received your application from Indeed, so the first step of your application is complete.
To finish your application we will email you further details.
Senior Design Engineer – Protection and Secondary Systems Substations and Green Grids
Connetics is a multi-disciplined, multi-regional electrical design, construction, and maintenance business delivering electrical infrastructure assets for customers throughout Aotearoa.
With depots in Wellington, Central Otago, Westport, Paraparaumu and Christchurch our purpose is to deliver energy solutions for our communities. We aim to exceed our customers' current and future needs by innovating, designing and delivering electrical projects, proactively harnessing opportunities in the fast-evolving energy landscape.
Connetics is a wholly owned subsidiary of Orion NZ Ltd (a Christchurch City Holdings Limited company) which operates within an Orion Group ecosystem as the electricity distribution services unit.
The Orion Group purpose to power a cleaner and brighter future with our community captures the contribution we want to make to the wellbeing and prosperity of our community. We are committed totaking a lead in sustainability and delivering innovative future energy services.
About the role
Connetics services the electricity network in all phases of asset lifecycle, from design through to maintenance and we encourage our Designers to have hands on interaction at all stages of the project. We have a reputation for developing innovative design solutions and with a pipeline of exciting projects ahead, we are looking for an individual who wants to come along on this exciting journey with us!
This role will see you contributing to the fast-paced and dynamic Substations & Green Grids discipline within the wider Design and Engineering Team, delivering exciting and innovative projects. Our goal is to harness the passion of our people, developing talent to keep our customers ahead of the curve. We seek to exceed expectations and are committed to solving industry challenges and delivering advanced solutions to our customers. From concept design through to commissioning, you will be responsible for delivering a variety of projects, utilising your ability to design from scratch while also delivering efficiency through adaptive design, building upon proven solutions.
Specifically, you’ll be responsible for development and review of protection philosophies, protection schemes design, protection relay specifications and protection relay settings (including settings calculations and coordination), secondary designs, project design and protection reports. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for power system modelling and fault studies.
Delivering design quality and inherent safety by:
- Development of protection schemes including specifying relay configurations and protection settings
- Model faults using Digsilent or equivalent power system modelling software
- Producing industry protection settings reports
- Development of protection philosophies and protection schemes
- Power system modelling and fault studies
- Protection settings calculations and coordination studies
- Development of secondary designs
- Delivering high quality CAD detailed design drawing sets in collaboration with dedicated draughting resources when needed
- Producing design reports, equipment specifications, installation specifications and commissioning plans
- Undertaking research on innovative design solutions to overcome unique site or client-based requirements
- Demonstrating subject matter expertise internally and externally (peer review, publications, presentations)
- Managing large or complex projects with multiple resources, delivering on time and in budget
- Providing instruction, advice, and active mentoring to junior colleagues in a supportive and collaborative way
- Collaborating effectively with all stakeholders, suppliers, and external resources
- Connecting with clients to discuss and develop new opportunities
- Estimating and scoping new work to
deliver project proposals
- A level 7 electrical engineering qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience in a similar role
- Sound knowledge of Power System Protection
- A strong technical knowledge of relative specifications, standards, and New Zealand best practice
- Possess good analytic and report writing skills
- Evidence of delivering successful projects on time and in budget
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- A current and valid Driver’s Licence and be eligible to work in NZ
- Current professional registration with a widely recognized industry body such as Engineering NZ
- Experience within any New Zealand Electricity Distribution Business
What we offer
At Connetics we offer flexibility and a range of employee benefits to ensure everything is in balance. We trust you to get the job done, and we respect the diversity and uniqueness of our people.
- A collaborative working environment that embraces diversity and inclusion
- A supportive team that will always have your back
- Modern office environment with onsite parking
- Wellness initiatives - including flu vaccinations, discounted medical insurance & annual skin checks
- Social club with access to company Hanmer holiday home
- Long service leave
- Work life balance with hybrid working options
Pre-Employment Tests | Medical & Ministry of Justice
Connetics require all successful applicants to complete a pre-employment Ministry of Justice check, a Pre-Employment medical test which includes a Drug and Alcohol test.